Thursday, July 7, 2016

Polysorbate 20 is bad!

Or anything with PEG/Polysorbate #, as the # is how many Ethylene Oxide chain it is treated with. After the Korean skin care (KSC) episode, I was careful on what skin products I put on my face; but thankfully, there were no more problem after fixing the faucet and eliminate irritating ingredients. I have not encountered any more trouble from my skin, except for when I accidentally used a serum with Polysorbate 20. As the previous posts have mention how contaminated this ingredient is, I have learned my lesson, and did not put anything with this ingredient on my face.

The first one is Super Vitamin C serum from New York Biology; I've put it on my face and my skin protest right away. Then I ordered some more product, not knowing about the polysorbate 20, like Retinol Moisturizer and Retinol Serum from BaeBody - which actually produces nice products, as I've used their B3 serum, Hyaluronic serum, and Vitamin C serum with almost no problem, and gotten soft, hydrated skin in the process (I'm loving my Amazon Reviewer life XD). Then Retinol Correcting Serum from Joyal Beauty; Vitamin C serum from Sky Organics. I've ordered these, and didn't see the Polysorbate 20 until I hold the bottles in my hands >______< Sad, really, because they have great ingredients in them, and would be nice serums to use; but the polysorbate 20 is a deal breaker D:

At least I've started to check the ingredients more thoroughly. Except that sometimes my skin throw me a curve ball and it hit me in my face, in more ways than one.

Case in point: I'm particular about my products, and I've been only using Burt's Bees lip balm. I've been using it for YEARS with no problem whatsoever, and it's the only thing that I could use that doesn't give me an allergic reaction, as most lip balms these days have SPF, and my lips are allergic to SPF. Yeah, only my lips, weird, eh O_O There's no explaining my body anymore. Anyway, I've been using Burt's Bees lip balm for a long time, but after the KSC, and after I got my skin back to normal, my chin was behaving weirdly with the dry and peeling and feeling dehydrated skin again, and I couldn't figure out what the problem is, as I've change all the things I could. Then I read the ingredients for the Burt's Bees lip balm, and it is: cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherolrosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene.

I've been using this irritant for years, but my skin decided that it want to protect me, so it refused to work with anything that have bad irritant (Limonene is rated 6 on EWG) and was trying to tell me. After I stopped using the Burt's Bees lip balm, my skin normalized. It's so hard to find anything that doesn't have limonene, except for vaseline, and that's not really something I want to use in the long term. There isn't anything that is usable by me, as they are either contained irritants, or have SPF, or not organic. I hunted through the few markets that my small town have, and ran upon Out of Africa lip balms, and was so happy! XD I think I got my new HG lip balm. Hopefully, things will go on as normal and there isn't anything that my skin would protest again. Though, I've gotten better at reading ingredients. Wootz wootz.

No comments:

Post a Comment